Storms never come at a convenient time.
As fate would have it, life brings us difficult situations when we are not ready. The fridge breaks down, hail damages the car, your teen breaks his arm… life never stops. We can not prepare for the unexpected, but we can get better at handling the fall out.
“The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.” - William James
We put together a few simple steps that help you take charge when times are tough. Grandma has lived long enough to know there are small actions that can help you gain control when life pushes your patience.
“Happiness is a choice. You can choose to be happy. There's going to be stress in life, but it's your choice whether you let it affect you or not.” - Valerie Bertinelli
Below you will find ten simple ways to calm your inner storm.
- Exercise allows you to release excess energy and stress. Physical activity does not have to be running or going to the gym. Exercise can be as simple as gardening or walking the dog.
- When you feel like you do not have time for sleep is when you need it most. Simple stretches before bed can help you get into a peaceful state.
- Eat Well
- Fuel your tank with nutrients that give you energy, rather than food that slows you down or upsets your system.
- Get Advice
- Go to someone you trust or an expert for advice that can help you tackle prickly situations.
- Set Goals
- Creating a plan to conquer your chaos can make a difficult situation feel more manageable.
- Do Something Fun
- When times are tough it is important to do things that help you remember your sense of self.
- Gain Perspective
- A problem can seem overwhelming in the short-term. Remember that “this too shall pass”. A change in perspective can give you a renewed sense of energy to tackle short-term hurdles.
- Release The Chaos
- Let go of what you cannot control. You do not have to carry every burden or push every boulder up the hill. Take ownership of personal responsibilities and release the rest.
- It may seem impossible to rest when life is hitting the fan, but peace is an important part of managing difficult situations. Try taking a long bath or reading something that takes your mind off the present.
- Laughing releases endorphins that help you reduce stress. Laughing allows you to physically let go of tension in the body.
One of the best ways to handle difficult stations is to listen to your favorite jams. What’s your favorite song to listen to when life gets tough? Let us know and we’ll put together a Rainy Day Survival Kit with the best song suggestions for hard times.
One more thing, our favorite gift for relaxing is Grandma's Natural Beauty Gift Set.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.